The Voltaic V15 is the workhorse of our ultralight solar power systems. It is an incredibly reliable battery pack, with 1A output, Mini-USB input, and pass-through charging capability. About the size of a deck of cards, and an excellent choice for use with any USB solar panel.
Think all pocket USB battery packs are the same? Think again.
That USB battery at Amazon, Costco or the big box store, might seem like a good deal, but take a closer look. Their cheap lithium cells, basic overhead battery management circuitry, poor construction, and lack of dynamic features can be frustrating. For example, most standard USB batteries cannot charge your device while they are charging themselves – they will only do 1 thing at a time.
When you need a proper compact USB battery, you’ll get yourself a V15.
What’s So Great About The V15?
- Optimized For Solar Charging – accepts input power down to very low input currents
- Pass-Through charging – the V15 can charge & be-charged at the same time
- Built-In “Always On” Feature For IoT And Time-Lapse Projects
Voltaic V15 Specifications…
- Maximum Output Power: 5 Watts
- Output: 5.5V 1,000 mA
- Input: 5-6V, 1000mA
- Output Capacity: 4,000 mAh (15 Watt-Hours)
- Charge Time: From solar in less than 7 hours, USB Port or optional AC and DC Chargers in less than 5.5 hours
- Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
- Protection: Short, Over Charge, Over Discharge, Over Current, Over Temp
- Weight: 126g (4.4oz)
- Dimensions: 102 x 65 x 16 mm (4×2½x½”)
- Charge Display: LEDs light sequentially when charging
- Capacity Display: 1 light < 25%, 2 lights < 50%, 3 lights < 75%, 4 lights > 75% full
Included : USB>MicroUSB charging cable
How Do I Use The Voltaic V15 battery?
Simple. Charge it up by plugging it into any USB port (computer, wall adaptor, USB solar panel, etc). Then use the stored power to charge all your USB devices.
Plug in your USB devices just like you would plug it into any USB port on your computer or wall adaptor.
Do I need to disconnect the V15 from the solar panel before I charge my device from it?
No. The V15 offers pass-through charging. This means you can charge from the V15 while the V15 is charging too. This is an important feature, as you want to be able to capture as much solar energy as possible, and don’t want to pause sunlight collection while you are charging your camera in the middle of the day.
Is it safe for my phone or other USB device?
Yes. The power from the Voltaic V15 follows USB standards, and your phone or other device will determine how much power to take, and when to stop charging. Exactly the same as charging from any other USB port.
What about charging camera batteries & rechargeable AA & AAA batteries?
The battery charger that came with your camera is meant to plug into a wall, and will not work with the USB output of the V15. BUT, have no fear, there are products that are designed to charge all types of batteries from USB sources. Check the ‘Accessories’ tab for links to chargers that handle small camera batteries, large dSLR & camcorder batteries, plus AA & AAA NiMh rechargeables.